Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Abraham Lincoln Wouldn't Have Picked Up His Cheese

Jackson here. I wrote a two-act play about my day yesterday. Enjoy.

ACT ONE
Interior Classroom. Day.

The Bears Class is eating lunch. Griffin, Lea, and some others are laughing and eating. Food falls on the floor. The teacher, Miss Elana, crosses the room to the table.

MISS ELANA: OK, who dropped the cheese on the floor?

(Silence)

MISS ELANA: Griffin, is that your cheese?

GRIFFIN: No, Miss Elana. It's Jackson's.

JACKSON: NO! It's NOT MY CHEESE!

MISS ELANA: (quietly) Jackson, it's OK. Are you sure it's not your cheese? I think I saw you drop it.

JACKSON: (with emotion) I am not picking it up! It is not my cheese!

Jackson kicks his chair, wails, and falls on the ground. Miss Alana escorts him out into the hallway toward the principal's office. He cries the entire way.

FADE TO BLACK

ACT TWO:
Interior Jackson's bedroom. Night. The lights are low. Jackson and his Dad are lying on a beanbag, about to read a book.

DAD: Jackson, I hear you had a rough day at school today.

JACKSON: No. Let's read.

DAD: Jackson, I talked to Mom. She told me Miss Elana said you had a bad day.

JACKSON: Hey Dad, I have a great idea! Let's go watch basketball!

DAD: Now Jackson, I want you to tell me what happened.

JACKSON: Dad. Miss Elana had a little problem. She doesn't like my cheese.

DAD: I heard you dropped it on the floor and you wouldn't pick it up.

JACKSON: (pauses) Dad. Abraham Lincoln wouldn't pick up his cheese.

DAD: Yes, he would have. And you know who else would have? Teddy Roosevelt.

JACKSON: Teddy Roosevelt! I love Teddy Roosevelt! Did you know he died peacefully in his sleep in 1919!

DAD: Really? And I heard he never got in trouble at school for not picking up his cheese...

JACKSON: I'm sorry Dad. I'll try and be better. I love you, Dad.

DAD: I love you too, Pal.

Jackson jumps on Dad to hug him, driving his knee into his Dad's groin. Dad lets out a deep moan. Jackson giggles.

END SCENE

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jackson, You need to be careful with your cheese. Ask any mouse that has been caught in a trap. Cheese can get you into a lot of trouble. You probably felt like George Washington felt when he got caught after chopping down the cherry tree he should not have chopped down. You could tell people you were just practicing to be a politician, and not telling the WHOLE truth. I guess I am like a lot of people, though, who are still wondering if it really was your cheese, or not. Teachers are pretty smart, and can usually tell who is not telling the whole truth. They like to use the extra set of eyes they have in the back of their heads.You might be better off trying to trick your brother than your teacher! Good luck keeping track of your cheese!

1:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home