Saturday, May 07, 2005

Child Labor

Donovan here. Lately, I've noticed a trend. All of the games Mom and Dad want to play involve some sort of chore. Like "Floor Cleaners" or "Laundry Switchers" or, my least favorite, "South Asian Sweatshop."

Today, it was "The Outside Guys." Sounded like fun. At first. But as the afternoon progressed, I noticed a trend.

First, it was sweeping...



Then, it was washing the car...



As you may have noticed (though it took me a little while): I'm the only one working.

Every time I'd turn around, Mr. Goof Ball was doing something like this...



So, as of now, I'm putting in for a raise: I want the big bedroom; I want the better car seat in Dad's car; And I want Jackson to stop calling me Chap Stick. I understand when he calls me "Cheeks" because, well, I've got big cheeks. I get that. Not exactly Seinfeld clever, but it makes sense.

But Chap Stick? I mean, c'mon. What does that even mean?

2 Comments:

Blogger Policy Analyst said...

i hate to break it to you, cheeks, but i did some looking into child labor laws in and found this:

"The Fair Labor Standards Act's (FLSA) minimum age requirements do not apply to minors employed by their parents, or by a person acting as their guardian."

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/employmentparents.htm

so, donovan, if you ever need to escape your parents' tyranny, let me know, i'll come pick you and that brother of yours up and we can go hang out at the beach instead.

11:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Donovan,
I am glad to see you have begun to contribute to the cleaning frenzy at your house. Now you have to learn how to pick up instead of mess up! It is the boys' job to do the cars, so it is a good thing they are starting you off young. It is also the boys' job to get milk, orange juice, and bread at the grocery store, so it is a good thing your mom has taken you along so you can learn how to get there. Your mom has begun to train you early. Buck up, and be a good "cleaner guy". Grandma will be there on Friday to help you clean up for the big weekend. Love, Grandma C.

8:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home